What are dental implants? You may have heard or read about dental implants, but do you know how they work and all the many ways they can benefit you? Bradenton, FL restorative dentist Dr. Nish Patel explains in three easy steps the dental implant procedure, and how it can benefit your quality of life and oral health.
How do Dental Implants work?
Dental implants are comprised of three main parts. Like a dental care at Manatee Advanced Dentistry, your implant procedure will be customized to your specific goals and oral health concerns. Dr. Patel will perform an extensive and thorough oral health exam to determine the number of implants needed to restore health, function, and beauty to your smile. Dr. Patel will discuss the procedure in person at length with you, so you understand the process and feel confident in the results. Once you and Dr. Patel build a thorough and personalized treatment plan, the dental implant procedure can begin.
- Our compassionate dental care team will ensure you are calm and comfortable. We offer a full range of dental sedation treatments for your comfort. Once relaxed, a small titanium screw is surgically implanted into the jaw bone. The number of implants you require will depend on the number and location of your missing teeth.
- Your implants will need some time to heal, about two months. While they heal, Dr. Patel may set you up with a temporary restoration. We do recommend eating foods on the softer side while your implants heal.
- Once healed, Dr. Patel will custom design a dental crown, bridge or denture as you discussed during treatment planning. Using a special abundant, the dental restoration will be permanently secured to your implant for a lifetime of beautiful, and highly functional smiles.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
So now you know how the procedure works, but how does it help your oral health and quality of life?
- Dental implants act like prosthetic root structure. The small titanium posts fuse with your bone creating a more stable and durable oral foundation. The nature of the small screw will eventually fuse with the bone stimulating new growth and a natural smile.
- Dental implant secured dental restorations restore much of your natural chewing function. You will not have to worry about your dentures slipping or falling out while you speak or eat. You can feel confident you will be the only one who knows you have a dental implant.
- Dental technology has greatly improved making restoration more natural looking than ever before. Dental crowns, bridges, and dentures can be made from a thin porcelain that reflects light like natural teeth. Your implant will look and feel like a natural tooth and requires no more maintenance than your healthy natural teeth.
Schedule A Consultation
Regular dentist office visits can allow Dr. Patel to diagnosis any complex oral health concerns in their earliest stages for the most conservative care. Replacing your missing teeth as soon as possible can help prevent the development of associated health concerns. Dr. Patel can help restore the function, health, and beauty to your smile for a lifetime of optimal oral health. Contact our Bradenton dentist office or schedule a consultation online.